Post-Judgment Issues in Michigan

Lawyers Located in Birmingham, MI with Over 100 Years of Combined Experience

After your divorce case is concluded, you may need an attorney for the enforcement of support or property provisions. You may also want to modify a child custody or parenting time order. Our divorce lawyers located in Birmingham, MI are experienced in handling these post-judgment issues and can sometimes negotiate a resolution without a court appearance.

How Are the Judgments of Divorce, Custody, Parenting Time, or Support Enforced?

One of the main issues seen post-judgment of divorce is the failure to obey decisions regarding child custody, parenting time, and child support payments. The responsibility for all custody-related judgment of divorce enforcements lies with the friend of the court office, although we can assist you with the writing and filing of petitions that need to be submitted to the friend of the court. If the friend of the court fails to resolve the custody issues, a motion can be filed requesting a hearing with the judge who signed your judgment of divorce or custody and parenting time or support order.

Other difficulties that often arise with regard to judgment of divorce non-compliance include debt repayment, property division, and title transfers. If your ex-spouse fails to obey any orders regarding such matters, we will assist you in the filing of court motions that request enforcement. Once a motion has been filed, a hearing will be scheduled in front of the judge who signed your judgment of divorce.

We are here to help you through every step of the process.

How Is a Judgment of Divorce Modified?

At times it is necessary to re-open a judgment of divorce for modification. In the case of child support orders, changes can be made until the child reaches 18. If you receive public assistance, the friend of the court will automatically review your support orders every 36 months.

In regard to custody or parenting time orders, motions can also be filed to change them. However, before a judge will consider changing the custody order, you must prove there has been a change in circumstances or proper cause for the change.

Spousal support decisions that are modifiable can also be changed if there are new facts for the court to consider. Obtaining judge approval for all of these changes can be difficult, though, so you do need legal assistance.

Call our team today at (248) 440-7495 to find out how we can help you. Our divorce attorneys located in Birmingham, MI serve clients in Oakland, Macomb, Wayne, Washtenaw, Livingston, Monroe, Genesee, Lapeer, and St. Clair counties.


  • The Law Firm of Victoria, P.C. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate all your hard word and dedication -- you went above and beyond to write the order and work with everyone to get the document signed and filed with the court. I greatly appreciate everything that you have done
  • The Law Firm of Victoria, P.C. You have been a great help for me and have opened my eyes to a lot of new information and I am very thankful for you and the Law Firm of Victoria.
  • The Law Firm of Victoria, P.C. Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I appreciate your kindness, professionalism and patience. You are truly a blessing.
  • The Law Firm of Victoria, P.C. I want to thank all of you who gave so unselfishly to help me get my dignity back... You fought to the very end for the best possible conclusion. Thank you for all you accomplished for me.
  • The Law Firm of Victoria, P.C. With your law firm and her help I made it through the divorce process and now I am finally happy once again.
  • The Law Firm of Victoria, P.C. It’s been a year since I contacted your firm, which I heard about on the radio. I received excellent representation from the Attorneys. All is good, and I can actually say better that I had hoped and I just wanted to take this opportunity to say THANKS!
Prev Next

Schedule A Confidential Consultation

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Send Us A Message