Birmingham Alimony Attorneys
Schedule a Consultation Today (248) 440-7495!
Alimony, also called spousal support, is money paid to the former spouse for his or her support.
Our firm has extensive experience in resolving issues of alimony for women. Whether it is long-term spousal support or short-term spousal support, our attorneys will identify your situation and your needs and will provide you with estimates under a number of different scenarios to offer you guidance for moving forward.
Consultations are available in-person and by phone.
How Do Michigan Courts Determine Alimony?
The court considers the following factors in awarding alimony:
- The past relations and conduct of the parties;
- The length of the marriage;
- The ability of the parties to work and their respective income;
- The source and amount of property awarded to the parties;
- The age of the parties;
- The ability of the parties to pay spousal support;
- The present situation of the parties;
- The needs of the parties;
- The health of the parties;
- The prior standard of living of the parties and whether either is responsible for the support of others; and
- General principles of equity.
How is alimony awarded? May it be modified?
A judgment of divorce must either award spousal support, expressly reserve the issue or state that neither party is entitled to spousal support.
Spousal support may be modified on a showing of a change in circumstances that warrants modification unless the parties agreed to non-modifiable spousal support.
Call our team of skilled and knowledgeable Birmingham divorce attorneys at (248) 440-7495 today to schedule a consultation.