Post Judgment Issues

Lawyers for Post-Judgment Issues In Birmingham

We practice in 9 counties across Michigan: Oakland, Macomb, Wayne, Washtenaw, Livingston, Monroe, Genesee, Lapeer and St. Clair.

Lawyers with Over 100 Years of Combined Experience

After your divorce case is concluded, you may need an attorney for the enforcement of support or property provisions. You may also want to modify a child custody or parenting time order. Our divorce lawyers in Birmingham, MI are experienced in handling these post-judgment issues and can sometimes negotiate a resolution without a court appearance.

How Are the Judgments of Divorce, Custody, Parenting Time, or Support Enforced?

One of the main issues seen after a divorce has been finalized is the failure to obey decisions regarding child custody, parenting time, and child support payments. The responsibility for all custody-related judgment of divorce enforcements lies with the friend of the court office, although we can assist you with the writing and filing of petitions that need to be submitted to the friend of the court. If the friend of the court fails to resolve the custody issues, a motion can be filed requesting a hearing with the judge who signed your judgment (whether it be for divorce, custody / parenting time, or support).

Other difficulties that can arise with non-compliance of a judgement include debt repayment, property division, and title transfers. If your ex-spouse fails to obey any orders regarding such matters, we will assist you in filing a court motion for enforcement. Once a motion has been filed, a hearing will be scheduled in front of the judge who signed your judgment of divorce.

We are here to help you through every step of the process.

Call our team today at (248) 780-1775 to find out how we can help you. Our family law and divorce attorneys serve clients in Oakland, Macomb, Wayne, Washtenaw, Livingston, Monroe, Genesee, Lapeer, and St.Clair counties

Consultations are available in-person and by phone for FREE.

How Is a Judgment of Divorce Modified?

At times it is necessary to re-open a judgment of divorce for modification. In the case of child support orders, changes can be made until the child reaches 18. If you receive public assistance, the friend of the court will automatically review your support orders every 36 months.

In regard to custody or parenting time orders, motions can also be filed to change them. However, before a judge will consider changing the custody order, you must prove there has been a change in circumstances or proper cause for the change.

Spousal support decisions that are modifiable can also be changed if there are new facts for the court to consider. Obtaining judge approval for all of these changes can be difficult, so you do need legal assistance.

Call our attorneys at (248) 780-1775 today for a free consultation.

    "My biggest mistake was in not retaining you at the onset."

    - L.M.

    "You have been a great help for me and have opened my eyes to a lot of new information and I am very thankful for you and the Law Firm of Victoria."

    - A.L.

    "Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I appreciate your kindness, professionalism and patience. You are truly a blessing."

    - P.O.

Get In Touch
With Our Legal Team

Speak With Experienced & Compassionate Family Law Attorneys Call Us Today

Schedule A
Free Consultation

Fill Out OUr online Form Below
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy
  • Modifying Child Support Orders in Michigan: When and How
    • Child Support
    Read Blog
    Mom & Daughter
  • Avoiding Common Mistakes in Michigan Divorces Involving Child Support
    • Divorce
    Read Blog
  • The Impact of Domestic Violence on Family Law Matters
    Read Blog
    The Impact of Domestic Violence on Family Law Matters
  • Grandparents' Rights in Michigan: Understanding Legal Options & Visitation
    • Child Custody
    Read Blog
    Grandparents' Rights in Michigan
  • Responding to Divorce Papers in Michigan
    • Divorce
    Read Blog
    woman responding to divorce papers
  • How Long Does Divorce Take in Michigan?
    • Divorce
    Read Blog
    woman thinking of divorce